October 20, 2018 marked 23 years of one of the most memorable and iconic love stories to grace the Indian cinema screens – Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge or DDLJ as one terms it shortly. We would like to take you back to some of the most delightful & endearing moments from the film which will make you want to watch it all over again.
1) The scene where Simran (Kajol) starts dancing to Mere Khwabon Mein Jo Aaye and SRK’s intro scene in the film.
2) The scene where Simran (Kajol) pleads to her father (Amrish Puri) for the European vacay with her friends and he allows her.
3) The first time when SRK and Kajol’s characters meet in the film. Simran (Kajol) is rushing to catch the train and Raj (SRK) lends her his hand and pulls her up. The subsequent sequences between them in the train are hilarious.
4) The ‘Palat’ scene. Here SRK’s character is waiting for Kajol’s character to turn as she is walking saying in his mind that if she loves him she will turn. In the scene the iconic “palat, palat, palat” dialogue is played which still creates a lot of fervour even today.
5) The scene where SRK meets Amrish Puri at the gas station for the first time and how they have a short spat.
6) Endearing and touching are also the scenes between SRK and Amrish Puri when both of them meet to feed birds in a large field in Punjab. SRK’s ‘Aao Aao’ lines will surely bring a chuckle to your face.
7) The scene where Farida Jalal discovers that her daughter Kajol loves someone else when they are in Punjab for Kajol’s wedding. She gives her daughter the advice on the lines that girls have to bear and cope up with whatever fate deals them with and then both mother-daughter hug each other and cry. Very touching scene!
8) The Zarasa Jhoom Lu song in which Kajol gets drunk and the subsequent next day scene in which she wakes up in bed and sees SRK carrying breakfast for her. Kajol starts thinking that something happened between her and SRK. The way SRK playfully teases her and then later on in a more serious vein tells her that he is a Hindustani and knows the value of chastity for Indian women and would never do anything which would compromise that.
9) The scene in which Farida Jalal comes to SRK and Kajol in Punjab and offers them her jewels asking them to elope and SRK’s subsequent response that he would do the right thing and not run away from the situation.
10) The climax scene of DDLJ is filled with drama, passion, action and romance. The last sequence when Amrish Puri release Kajol’s hand as she is trying to catch the moving train in which SRK is waiting for her and tells her to live her life and her subsequent running in slo-mo and finally taking SRK’s hand and getting on the train. Audiences went crazy and showered it with a lot of claps and whistles.
11) The Karva Chauth scene on the terrace in Punjab where Kajol is fasting for SRK and is feeling famished. She starts cribbing about this and then later discovers that SRK has also kept the fast. Then once the moon is sighted how both feed each other food. Pure romance and charm these two could generate on-screen.
12) The scenes just preceding and the Tujhe Dekha To Ye Jaana Sanam song. Here Kajol keeps on hearing SRK’s mandolin tune. Earlier it was shown that she covers her ears to make it go. Later she is shown in her room and wakes up, hears the music but it does not go away when she covers her ears. She runs out side the house, down the long road and into the Sarso Ke Khet. She falls to her knees. You hear a bell and then see the cow with her bell around his neck.The wind begins to blow and she turns. There is a long shot of the fields and in the distance you see a figure. As Raj turns he sings “Tujhe Dekha to yeh jaana sanam” There are long intense looks between the two and then he holds out his arms. She smiles and runs to him through the field of yellow flowers. She runs straight to his arms and you see the delightful shots of their embrace. Then the song continues from there. If there ever is an article on the ultimate romantic moments in Hindi cinema, this one would surely rank up right up there.
These are but just a few moments from the film which made us fall in love with the film. Just recounting these iconic moments make us want to go and catch DDLJ for the umpteenth time. What are your favourite moments from the film?