Bollywood superstar Rishi Kapoor, who was diagnosed with leukemia in 2018, passed away in Mumbai on Thursday morning. As we remember the veteran, we bring you some candid confessions that he made in his memoir Khullam Khulla:
1. Rishi Kapoor in his memoir got candid about his father Raj Kapoor’s extramarital affairs with Nargis and Vyjanthimala. He said that while he wasn’t affected by his affair with Nargis as he was too young, his second affair was too much for his mother Krishna Raj Kapoor to take and that they moved out of Raj Kapoor’s house as his mother had decided to put her foot down this time.
2. Rishi Kapoor admitted that he had bought the Best Actor Award for Bobby, which rightfully belonged to Amitabh Bachchan for Zanjeer. He had paid Rs. 30,000 for it.
3. Rishi Kapoor also confessed that his first serious girlfriend was a Parsi girl, Yasmin Mehta and that he was madly in love with her. But reports about his romance with his Bobby co-star Dimple Kapadia, who was married to Rajesh Khanna, at the time, broke their relationship.
4. Though reports about Dimple and Rishi Kapoor’s romance gave a lot of fodder to entertainment magazine in the 70s, Rishi Kapoor claims that he was not even infatuated with her.
5. Rishi Kapoor wrote that during his hey days, roles were written specifically for Amitabh Bachchan and other actors working with him would never get author-backed roles in multi-starrer featuring Big B. He blamed Amitabh Bachchan for never giving due credit to his co-stars.
6. Rishi Kapoor used to pick up his costumes for his films himself. Unknowingly he bought a women’s pant from Beirut and wore it while shooting for Zehreela Insaan.
7. While Bobby was a blockbuster, Rishi Kapoor’s other films bombed at the box-office and he went into depression, He blamed his wife Neetu Kapoor for his failure, who was then pregnant with Riddhima Kapoor. Rishi Kapoor felt terrible later for ill-treating his wife.
8. Rishi Kapoor had almost turned down Kabhi Kabhie as it not only featured Amitabh Bachchan, who always used to get the lion’s share, it also had Neetu Kapoor in a more prominent role than Rishi. He agreed to do the film later on his uncle Shashi Kapoor’s insistence.
9. He never liked most of his chartbusters and found Om Shanti Om from Karz ‘lousy’.
10. He revealed that his wife Neetu Kapoor felt threatened when his Bobby co-star Dimple Kapadia made her comeback with him in Saagar.