Vinod Khanna, who was suffering from bladder cancer, passed away in a Mumbai hospital today, at the age of 70. Here are some lesser know facts about the late actor:
1. Vinod Khanna was born in a Punjabi family to Kamla and Kishanchand Khanna, a textile, dyes and chemicals businessman on October 6, 1946, in Peshawar (now in Pakistan).
2. Vinod Khanna graduated in commerce from Mumbai’s Sydenham College.
3. Vinod Khanna marked his debut with Sunil Dutt’s 1968 film Man Ka Meet, in which he played the antagonist. Khanna was one of the few actors who started his career by playing negative roles before becoming a mainstream actor. He played supporting or villainous characters in films such as Purab Aur Pashhim, Sachaa Jhutha, Aan Milo Sajna, and Mastana in 1970, and in Mera Gaon Mera Desh and Elaan in 1971.
4. He got his first break as the solo lead hero in the film Hum Tum Aur Who (1971) opposite Bharati Vishnuvardhan.
5. Vinod Khanna was paid more than Jeetendra in the film Insaan and more than Amitabh Bachchan in four films – Parvarish, Hera Pheri, Khoon Pasina, Amar Akbar Anthony.
6. Between 1982-1986, he became a follower of Osho and left the industry for five years. He moved to Rajneeshpuram, Osho’s commune in the United States, cleaning dishes and working as Osho’s gardener.
7. His absence from India, after he moved to America, caused a rift between his wife Geetanjali and him, and eventually, their marriage ended in divorce.
8. In 1990, he married Kavita and they became parents to son Sakshi and daughter Shraddha. He has two sons with Geetanjali – Rahul Khanna and Akshaye Khanna.
9. One of the highest grossing films of 1980, Qurbani was earlier offered to Amitabh Bachchan however, when he refused to do it, Khanna was roped in.
10. He was also the original choice for Rocky, which later marked Sanjay Dutt’s debut.